Definition of bulge:
- A swelling, protuberant part; a bending outward, esp. when caused by pressure; as, a bulge in a wall.
- The bilge of a vessel. See Bilge, 2.
- The bilge or protuberant part of a cask.
- To bilge, as a ship; to founder.
- To swell or jut out; to bend outward, as a wall when it yields to pressure; to be protuberant; as, the wall bulges.
project, down, study at projection, come in, hummock, vantage, protuberance, bulk, pop out, toss off, tumefaction, expulsion, knob, horn, emerge, outgrowth, out, turn up, prominence, draw, pop up, egress, wart, over, initiate, upper hand, jump, crop up, come to the fore, inside track, stick out, convex, start up, promontory, advantage, drop, lead off, step up, push through, protrusion, blow, step to the fore, better, overhang, originate, bug out, surface, come forth, protrude, pocket, flange, embark on, gibbosity, go, jut out, salient, come on, extrusion, turn out, beetle, begin, place, kill, protuberate, depart, pour down, step forward, show up, appear, bulge out, distention, bulb, dilation, burst out, come out of the closet, part, jutting, convexity, bunching, nodulation, superiority, get going, growth, edge, erupt, tuberosity, set forth, start, point, intumescency, knot, superfluity, pouch, set out, get down, boss, break through, ridge, jut, drink down, bolt down, excrescence, come out, knob, take up, puffiness, lump, get, intumescence, projection, come forward, bump, startle, issue, bag, tumor, egg, excess, belt down, stand out, belly, take off, bagginess, gibbousness, balloon, sac, hump, salience, set off, sagging, appendage, set about, start out, swelling, nodule, go forth, rib, commence, pop, fall out.
- "Raiders of the Universes", Donald Wandrei.
At least, she describes it oddly, rather; she said it made the door bulge inwards from the next room, but not the door alone; the walls bulged or swayed as if a huge thing pressed against them from the other side.- "Four Weird Tales", Algernon Blackwood.
- "The Enchanted Canyon", Honoré Willsie Morrow.