Definition of disperse :
1. To distribute wealth; to share one's abundance with others.
2. To scatter abroad; to drive to different parts; to distribute; to diffuse; to spread; as, the Jews are dispersed among all nations.
3. To scatter, so as to cause to vanish; to dissipate; as, to disperse vapors.
4. To separate; to go or move into different parts; to vanish; as, the company dispersed at ten o'clock; the clouds disperse.
fragmentize, penetrate, dust, stagger, besprinkle, pass on, decompose, stud, pass out, allot, dish out, turn out, cut off, broadcast, circle, deal out, pass around, part, interrupt, adjourn, open, expand, fool, fragmentise, break down, turn back, resolve, propagate, circularize, parcel out, go around, split up, string out, air, patter, collapse, permeate, break apart, fritter, rotate, frivol away, crash, dismantle, drive out, strew, break-up, dole out, riddle, rise, mete out, take apart, mobilise, spatter, hand out, splay, crock up, circulate, collect, disrupt, disassemble, shoot, deal, run off, sever, overspread, send, pitter-patter, circularise, recess, constellate, pervade, unfold, beam, drive off, drive away, crack up, fool away, give out, sprinkle, calve, pick, sparge, spit, lot, fan out, move, administer, interpenetrate, spread out, dispel, splash, splosh, imbue, fragment, transmit, wide, shell out, chase away, mobilize, crack, dot, lift, fritter away
disperse (part of speech: verb)
loosen (part of speech: verb)
scatter (part of speech: verb)
diverge (part of speech: verb)
- And the highest art of all is to compel him to disperse his army, and then to concentrate superior force against each fraction in turn." - "Stonewall Jackson And The American Civil War", G. F. R. Henderson.
- The corners of Miss Walsh's mouth ceased to turn quite so definitely downward, and the clouds in Olwen's bright eyes seemed about to disperse. - "The Disturbing Charm", Berta Ruck.
- The multitude had now begun to disperse, for the sun's rays were growing level, and the day was over. - "The Head Hunters of Northern Luzon From Ifugao to Kalinga A Ride Through the Mountains of Northern Luzon With an Appendix on the Independence of the Philippines", Cornelis De Witt Willcox.