Definition of lessen:
- To become less; to shrink; to contract; to decrease; to be diminished; as, the apparent magnitude of objects lessens as we recede from them; his care, or his wealth, lessened.
- To make less; to reduce; to make smaller, or fewer; to diminish; to lower; to degrade; as, to lessen a kingdom, or a population; to lessen speed, rank, fortune.
go down, shine, devolve, peter, fall down, precipitate, come, strike, descend, comfort, accrue, pass, come down, decline, rebate, minify, hang, tail away, settle, diminish, light, fall, return, belittle, flow, ebb, subside, increase, decrease, sink, let up.
- detract (part of speech: verb)
- lessening (part of speech: verb)
diminish (part of speech: verb)
- lessen (part of speech: verb)
- lighten (part of speech: verb)
- alleviate (part of speech: verb)
- decrease (part of speech: verb)
- subtract (part of speech: verb)
- "Memoirs of Henry Hunt, Esq. Volume 3", Henry Hunt.
- "The Complete Essays of C. D. Warner", Charles Dudley Warner.
- "M. or N. "Similia similibus curantur."", G.J. Whyte-Melville.