Definition of advertise:
- To give notice to; to inform or apprise; to notify; to make known; hence, to warn; - often followed by of before the subject of information; as, to advertise a man of his loss.
- To give public notice of; to announce publicly, esp. by a printed notice; as, to advertise goods for sale, a lost article, the sailing day of a vessel, a political meeting.
raise, show, campaign, endorse, display, tug, notify, acquaint, ballyhoo, tout, tell, encourage, give out, further, sponsor, print, noise, blazon, say, puff, popularize, vaunt, elevate, publicise, agitate, crusade, build up, annunciate, hype, force, make known, uncover, enunciate, cry, expose, talk up, state, herald, boost, praise, bear on, vent, spread, sell, trumpet, celebrate, plug, give notice, knowledge, pitch, propound, show off, advertize, unveil, spread abroad, fight, labour, words, bare, parade, kick upstairs, conceal, air, inform, crowd, drive, advance, promote, blaze, labor, bruit, upgrade, publicize, propagate, placard, push, hide, splash, press.
- disclose (part of speech: verb)
- publish (part of speech: verb)
- "The Song of Songs", Hermann Sudermann.
- "History of the United Netherlands, 1586-89, Vol. II. Complete", John Lothrop Motley Last Updated: February 7, 2009.
From time to time I used to advertise for news of my brother, offering rewards, but long ago I stopped that, and have no doubt that he perished in the storm, although for a time I comforted myself by thinking that he might, by some strange chance, have been saved.- "The Girl Aviators and the Phantom Airship", Margaret Burnham.