Definition of advertise :
1. To give notice to; to inform or apprise; to notify; to make known; hence, to warn; - often followed by of before the subject of information; as, to advertise a man of his loss.
2. To give public notice of; to announce publicly, esp. by a printed notice; as, to advertise goods for sale, a lost article, the sailing day of a vessel, a political meeting.
raise, air, hide, push, drive, publicise, crowd, placard, force, puff, uncover, splash, knowledge, fight, display, spread abroad, herald, upgrade, blaze, celebrate, encourage, publicize, vent, words, tout, praise, elevate, advertize, bear on, conceal, press, advance, give out, tug, plug, acquaint, endorse, kick upstairs, pitch, unveil, bare, propagate, vaunt, print, ballyhoo, show, annunciate, sell, further, agitate, trumpet, bruit, tell, propound, cry, build up, show off, enunciate, crusade, inform, notify, popularize, boost, say, state, noise, sponsor, campaign, give notice, blazon, make known, labour, hype, expose, labor, talk up, parade, spread
disclose (part of speech: verb)
publish (part of speech: verb)
- Do you men think we exist merely to feed and advertise your vanity? - "The Song of Songs", Hermann Sudermann.
- " So if there be anything hard to be understood," he observed to Walsingham, " advertise me, and I will make it plainer." - "History of the United Netherlands, 1586-89, Vol. II. Complete", John Lothrop Motley Last Updated: February 7, 2009.
- From time to time I used to advertise for news of my brother, offering rewards, but long ago I stopped that, and have no doubt that he perished in the storm, although for a time I comforted myself by thinking that he might, by some strange chance, have been saved. - "The Girl Aviators and the Phantom Airship", Margaret Burnham.