Definition of amethyst :
1. A purple color in a nobleman's escutcheon, or coat of arms.
2. A variety of crystallized quartz, of a purple or bluish violet color, of different shades. It is much used as a jeweler's stone.
gem (part of speech: noun)
emerald, onyx, star sapphire, ruby, turquoise, diamond, carbuncle, lapis lazuli, sardonyx, agate, topaz, gem, moonstone, garnet, beryl, opal, chalcedony, sapphire, jade, coral, hyacinth, zircon, bloodstone, aquamarine, rose quartz
- City of sorrow and desire, Under a sky of opal fire, Amber and amethyst and red . - "The Inn of Dreams", Olive Custance.
- Now again she flies aloof, Coasting mountain clouds, and kissed By the evening's amethyst. - "The Works of Robert Louis Stevenson - Swanston Edition Vol. 24 (of 25)", Robert Louis Stevenson Other: Andrew Lang.
- Her masts are tipped with amethyst, A splendor all untold; A crimson mantle wraps her round, Her sails are made of gold. - "Love-or-Fame-and-Other-Poems", Sherrick, Fannie Isabel.