Definition of evade :
1. To attempt to escape; to practice artifice or sophistry, for the purpose of eluding.
2. To escape; to slip away; - sometimes with from.
3. To get away from by artifice; to avoid by dexterity, subterfuge, address, or ingenuity; to elude; to escape from cleverly; as, to evade a blow, a pursuer, a punishment; to evade the force of an argument.
scotch, frustrate, hold over, miss, hedge in, waffle, deflect, confuse, backfire, misrepresent, take evasive action, manipulate, equivocate, prorogue, burke, seek, hem in, convey, outsmart, block, face, scape, finesse, defer, wangle, skate over/around, get around, play it safe, shuffle, shake, ring, put-off, shelve, obliqueness, eschew, get at, flinch from (doing) something, crash, baffle, turn off, confront, cavil, shake off, fake, languish, besiege, provide against, put over, pettifog, mince (your) words, douse, fence, duck out of, table, pretend, prevaricate, spoil, flurry, deceive, overreach, dishearten, bilk, parry, disconcert, collapse, thwart, falsify, cross, fudge, founder, flop, set back, have a narrow/lucky escape, wriggle out of (doing) something, imply, slip, intimate, tergiversate, hem and haw, postpone, lose, bomb, environ, skirt, cook, dip, surround, shift, outwit, fizzle, beleaguer, get out of, quibble, conceal, foil, retreat, fail, remit, pussyfoot, stay out of, hedge, cop out, throw off, trick, beat, cloak, outfox, weasel, border, dissemble, subtilize
avoid (part of speech: verb)
escape (part of speech: verb)
- His cry to heaven is a cry to her He would evade. - "The Complete Project Gutenberg Works of George Meredith", George Meredith.
- Stretton was no longer seeking to evade discovery. - "The Truants", A. E. W. (Alfred Edward Woodley) Mason.
- He had managed, somehow, to evade that word; to refrain from putting into any words at all the peril Mary had so narrowly escaped, although the fact had hung, undisguised, between him and March during the moment they stared at each other before they went up- stairs together. - "Mary Wollaston", Henry Kitchell Webster.