Definition of evade:
- To attempt to escape; to practice artifice or sophistry, for the purpose of eluding.
- To escape; to slip away; - sometimes with from.
- To get away from by artifice; to avoid by dexterity, subterfuge, address, or ingenuity; to elude; to escape from cleverly; as, to evade a blow, a pursuer, a punishment; to evade the force of an argument.
shelve, fence, falsify, environ, frustrate, deceive, pettifog, bilk, slip, get out of, overreach, eschew, circumvent, postpone, flurry, outfox, misrepresent, shake, sidestep, seek, waffle, hem in, cavil, tergiversate, equivocate, get at, fake, fudge, remit, outwit, crash, shake off, weasel, border, beleaguer, besiege, quibble, cloak, pussyfoot, hem and haw, burke, founder, manipulate, dishearten, douse, trick, scotch, confuse, obliqueness, face, languish, elude, cook, bomb, confront, pretend, intimate, skirt, cross, disconcert, put-off, dip, prevaricate, surround, hold over, thwart, wriggle out of (doing) something, spoil, get around, fail, have a narrow/lucky escape, shift, wangle, hedge, flop, play it safe, convey, hedge in, shuffle, throw off, outsmart, turn off, stay out of, baffle, cop out, subtilize, lose, parry, finesse, take evasive action, scape, table, miss, dissemble, flinch from (doing) something, collapse, conceal, mince (your) words, block, backfire, provide against, retreat, beat, fizzle, duck, foil, dodge, ring, defer, prorogue, put over, skate over/around, set back, duck out of, deflect, imply.
- "The Complete Project Gutenberg Works of George Meredith", George Meredith.
- "The Truants", A. E. W. (Alfred Edward Woodley) Mason.
He had managed, somehow, to evade that word; to refrain from putting into any words at all the peril Mary had so narrowly escaped, although the fact had hung, undisguised, between him and March during the moment they stared at each other before they went up- stairs together.- "Mary Wollaston", Henry Kitchell Webster.