Definition of fortress :
1. A fortified place; a large and permanent fortification, sometimes including a town; a fort; a castle; a stronghold; a place of defense or security.
2. To furnish with a fortress or with fortresses; to guard; to fortify.
justification, chateau, bulwark, vindication, redoubt, casbah, hold, castle, campanile, apology, belfry, fort, battlements, bastion, fortification, chatelaine, bell tower, citadel, bailey, garrison, fastness, castellated, rampart
defense (part of speech: noun)
cover, armor, aversion, answer, backfire, moat, counterattack, retort, buffer, countermeasure, response, guard, reply, protection, return, barricade, support, resistance, stronghold, safeguard, harbor, shield, rebuttal, shelter, barrier, security, defense, argument, wall, screen
- I had taken the usual precaution to close the gates of my fortress, and this time I slept my sleep out, undisturbed by the rats. - "The Boy Tar", Mayne Reid.
- But when morning came he could not stay away from the fortress of Antonia, where he knew that Jesus would soon be brought before Pilate. - "Men Called Him Master", Elwyn Allen Smith.
- Instead, she filled the upper gallery of that old fortress with a collection of pictures that would make any gallery in Europe famous. - "The Genius", Margaret Horton Potter.