Definition of fortification :
1. That which fortifies; especially, a work or works erected to defend a place against attack; a fortified place; a fortress; a fort; a castle.
2. The act of fortifying; the art or science of fortifying places in order to defend them against an enemy.
munition, earthwork, ordnance store, ordnance, defense, castle, battlement, stronghold, barrier, buffer, stockade, garrison, parapet, weapons system, barricade, entrenchment, rampart, weaponry, support, outwork, dugout, wall, implements of war, fortress, fort, groin, bunker, fastness, trench, reinforcement, arms, outpost, block, bulwark, blockhouse, redoubt, citadel
- From whence we may infer, that any place surrounded with a wall or fortification might be termed a Tor or Turris. - "A New System; or, an Analysis of Antient Mythology. Volume II. (of VI.)", Jacob Bryant.
- There were at least three artists in this Danville prison, viz: Captain Albert Thomas, who now has a studio in Syracuse, N. Y., Lieutenant VanDerweed and another, whose name I do not now remember; but almost every prisoner who was confined in Danville, will remember him as the officer who was once sent down the river from Richmond for exchange, but who, while passing Fort Fisher, was detected by the Confederate officer in charge, in making a sketch of that fortification, and return to prison. - "In and Out of Rebel Prisons", Lieut. A. [Alonzo] Cooper.
- He provided food for the cities, And furnished them with means of fortification, Until his famous name was known to the end of the earth. - "The Makers and Teachers of Judaism", Charles Foster Kent.