Definition of funk:
- Alt. of Funking
- An offensive smell; a stench.
- One who funks; a shirk; a coward.
- To be frightened, and shrink back; to flinch; as, to funk at the edge of a precipice.
- To emit an offensive smell; to stink.
- To envelop with an offensive smell or smoke.
- To frighten; to cause to flinch.
- To funk at; to flinch at; to shrink from ( a thing or person); as, to funk a task.
creep, coward, reverberate, bluegrass, wither, shrivel, cowardice, ricochet, alarm, fearfulness, acid house, cringe, temper, unmanliness, terror, craven, contract, take a hop, bebop, crawl, mope, fawn, ambient, gloom, dysphoria, poltroon, yellow streak, quail, squinch, cravenness, horror, bounce, backup, recoil, flinch, dread, annoyance, blue funk, heavy-heartedness, despondence, dastard, Casimir Funk, blues, resentment, grovel, panic, apprehension, dastardliness, wince, anger, gutlessness, reduce, fear, bound, backfire, irritation, chickenheartedness, acid jazz, squint, spring, yellow-belly, melancholy, sadness, fury, happy, rebound, outrage, shrivel up, trepidation, shrink, mood, feelings, asperity, affright, backlash, rage, background music, dolefulness, depression, yellowness, despondency, resile, pusillanimity, kick, dejection, backing, doldrums, kick back, chicken, unhappiness, cower, bhangra, faint-heartedness, cold feet, downheartedness, dumps, fright, mournfulness, cowardliness, glumness.
- "The Luck of Gerard Ridgeley", Bertram Mitford.
- "The Crimson Sweater", Ralph Henry Barbour.