Definition of labial :
1. A letter or character representing an articulation or sound formed or uttered chiefly with the lips, as b, p, w.
2. An organ pipe that is furnished with lips; a flue pipe.
3. Articulated, as a consonant, mainly by the lips, as b, p, m, w.
4. Furnished with lips; as, a labial organ pipe.
5. Modified, as a vowel, by contraction of the lip opening, as ( fd), ( ld), etc., and as eu and u in French, and o, u in German. See Guide to Pronunciation, 11, 178.
6. Of or pertaining to the labium; as, the labial palpi of insects. See Labium.
7. Of or pertaining to the lips or labia; as, labial veins.
8. One of the scales which border the mouth of a fish or reptile.
epiglottis, affricate, aspirate, agape, gargle, consonant, assonance, corner, Adam's apple, alveolar, closed syllable, dribble, froth, labial consonant, dry, bilabial, aspiration, close vowel, gingivitis, furry
- His thirty years in Holy Orders had slightly hardened an originally luscious Dublin brogue, but there remained a certain gentle aspiration of the d's and t's, and a tendency to omit the labial consonants altogether. - "Hyacinth 1906", George A. Birmingham.
- The term " double lip" is applied to a condition occasionally met with in young men, in which there is a hypertrophy of the labial glands in the mucous membrane of the upper lip. - "Manual of Surgery Volume Second: Extremities--Head--Neck. Sixth Edition.", Alexander Miles Alexis Thomson.
- Later, Raymond came to recognize the meaning of that labial warning. - "Gigolo", Edna Ferber.