Definition of nimbus :
1. A circle, or disk, or any indication of radiant light around the heads of divinities, saints, and sovereigns, upon medals, pictures, etc.; a halo. See Aureola, and Glory, n., 5.
2. A rain cloud; one of the four principal varieties of clouds. See Cloud.
resplendency, mandala, glow, frankincense, effulgence, aroma, patina, aurora, karma, cirrocumulus, iconography, atmosphere, flavor, glorification, bank, radiance, glory, mood, vibration, circle of light, light, cloudy, doughnut, gloriole, halo, ring, joss stick, burnt offering, incense, odor, air, climate, god, nebulous light, billow, nimbus cloud, idol, temper, cirrostratus, note, corona, anchor ring, smell, emanation, nebula, aureole, aura, cumulonimbus, annulus, resplendence, column, ambience
cloud (part of speech: noun)
cumulo-cirrus, haze, cirro-stratus, strato-cumulus, stratus, mist, cumulo-cirro-stratus, cumulus, thunderhead, cirro-velum, cumulo-nimbus, rain cloud, thundercloud, cloud, storm cloud, vapor, cirrus, cirro-cumulus, cumulo-stratus
- At the closed door of the dining- room- next to that other room which Harris had bidden them lock up; she stood for a long time, her fingers trembling on the knob; her lamp, shaking in her hand, cast a nimbus of light around her small gray figure. - "The Iron Woman", Margaret Deland.
- The asphalt was gleaming with the rain, and a thin fog was in the air, which formed a nimbus around the street lamps and drew a veil before the shop windows. - "Master Tales of Mystery, Volume 3", Collected and Arranged by Francis J. Reynolds.
- I fancy that the mist of centuries of undiscriminating admiration has magnified this figure out of all proportion and contrived, furthermore, to fix an iridescent nimbus of sanctity about its head. - "Old Calabria", Norman Douglas.