Definition of player :
1. A dramatic actor.
2. A gamester; a gambler.
3. One who plays any game.
4. One who plays on an instrument of music.
5. One who plays, or amuses himself; one without serious aims; an idler; a trifler.
athlete, member, faker, gambler, action, gambling, pseud, substitute, actor, gamester, histrion, contestant, doer, sweat, participant, acrobat, amateur, pseudo, opponent, impostor, flash, fraud, pretender, fake, worker, champ, imposter, sportsman, actress, participate, gymnast, bettor, thespian, shammer, ham, diver, sham, tape recorder, performing arts, professional, record player, party, role player
musician (part of speech: noun)
banjoist, clarinetist, cellist, instrumentalist, baritone, alto, flutist, virtuoso, keyboardist, harpist, musician, trumpeter, bassoonist, guitarist, bass, composer, singer, harpsichordist, saxophonist, bassist, performer, accordionist, maestro, pianist, tenor, violinist, trombonist, arranger, oboist, soprano, drummer, fiddler
- Do you think he would keep a man off his team who is his best player, and who may bring him the game? - "The Major", Ralph Connor.
- Still, as he was a close player, he determined to throw a little cold water on that flame. - "Peg Woffington", Charles Reade.
- So we talked along and finely he asked me was I going to write a book about the war and I said no and he says all right he would tell the paper that he had ran across a soldier that not only use to be a ball player but wasn't going to write a book and they would make a big story out of it. - "The Real Dope", Ring Lardner.