Definition of burnish:
- The effect of burnishing; gloss; brightness; luster.
- To cause to shine; to make smooth and bright; to polish; specifically, to polish by rubbing with something hard and smooth; as, to burnish brass or paper.
- To shine forth; to brighten; to become smooth and glossy, as from swelling or filling out; hence, to grow large.
- "The Great Mogul", Louis Tracy.
The failing sunlight spattered down through the moving foliage in green- gilt flashes that tinged her face and touched her hair with the soft burnish of Venetian gold, like that of a figure he remembered in St. Mark's.- "The Long Lane's Turning", Hallie Erminie Rives.
- "The Reign of Law A Tale of the Kentucky Hemp Fields", James Lane Allen.