Definition of polish:
- A smooth, glossy surface, usually produced by friction; a gloss or luster.
- Anything used to produce a gloss.
- Fig.: Refinement; elegance of manners.
- Hence, to refine; to wear off the rudeness, coarseness, or rusticity of; to make elegant and polite; as, to polish life or manners.
- The language of the Poles.
- To become smooth, as from friction; to receive a gloss; to take a smooth and glossy surface; as, steel polishes well.
- To make smooth and glossy, usually by friction; to burnish; to overspread with luster; as, to polish glass, marble, metals, etc.
shine, belt down, nuance, calibrate, brush up, fill out, smooth out, glossary, glint, last, coating, acculturation, finis, refinement, review, bolt down, round off, furbish, subtlety, labialise, light, shoot down, touch up, down, pop, conclusion, kill, buff, gloss, gleam, tweak, cultivation, assault, rectify, glisten, radiate, shade, rarify, perfect, better, rubric, attack, consume, retouch, smoothen, push down, beam, elaboration, polish up, color, drink down, toss off, close, colour, elaborate, land, semblance, complicate, purification, civilization, smooth, labialize, finish, flesh out, refresh, lash out, pour down, stopping point, nicety, go through, cut down, destination, sleek, fine-tune, knock down, glow, glitter, pull down, strike, refine, round, snipe, round out, assail, ending, fall, finale, culture, glossiness, devour, reflect, graduate, round down, refining, burnish, finishing, civilisation, goal.
Their point of view is represented by the following leading article of the weekly paper Free Poland, founded since the war and published by the Polish National Council of America: 'What the Poles desire is an independent Poland.- "My Three Years in America", Johann Heinrich Andreas Hermann Albrecht Graf von Bernstorff.
- "Modern Machine-Shop Practice, Volumes I and II", Joshua Rose.
- "Sterne", H.D. Traill.