Definition of deuce :
1. A condition of the score beginning whenever each side has won three strokes in the same game ( also reckoned " 40 all"), and reverted to as often as a tie is made until one of the sides secures two successive strokes following a tie or deuce, which decides the game.
2. The devil; a demon.
3. Two; a card or a die with two spots; as, the deuce of hearts.
Satan (part of speech: noun)
- Now, how the deuce am I to make up a plausible repentance for you, if I don't know what you've done? - "Hyacinth 1906", George A. Birmingham.
- The deuce, I'm not! - "The Complete Project Gutenberg Works of George Meredith", George Meredith.
- Now what in the deuce?" - "Little Eve Edgarton", Eleanor Hallowell Abbott.