Definition of northern :
1. In a direction toward the north; as, to steer a northern course; coming from the north; as, a northern wind.
2. Of or pertaining to the north; being in the north, or nearer to that point than to the east or west.
- There is but one road to Alwa's place; he must pass by the northern ford through Howrah River. - "Rung Ho!", Talbot Mundy.
- And don't forget to tell him that Captain Lingard is at the mouth of the river- the northern entrance. - "An Outcast of the Islands", Joseph Conrad.
- The northern express was due at noon and the distance of sixty miles must be made. - "Where Strongest Tide Winds Blew", Robert McReynolds.