Definition of sane :
1. Being in a healthy condition; not deranged; acting rationally; - said of the mind.
2. Mentally sound; possessing a rational mind; having the mental faculties in such condition as to be able to anticipate and judge of the effect of one's actions in an ordinary maner; - said of persons.
pragmatic, of sound mind, well-adjusted, insane, sound, commonsensical, sapient, stable, in his right mind, fair-minded, well-grounded, irrational, fairish, prudent, reason, steady, clearheaded, wide awake, with-it, clear, practical, alert, clear-headed, self-possessed, mature, in their right minds, levelheaded, well-founded, illogical, sagacious, commonsensible, wise, thinking, senseless, judicious, intelligent, right, sage, logical, discerning, fair, in her right mind, right-minded, clearly, compos mentis, unreasonable, sober, grounded
sane (part of speech: adjective)
- Yes, hardly the work of a sane man, with a train going at express speed. - "Blind Policy", George Manville Fenn.
- Sane or mad she would hate him now, all the rest of her life. - "A Terrible Secret", May Agnes Fleming.
- If, on the other hand, you conclude from what you have seen and heard that the prisoner was sane- and nothing short of insanity will count- you will find him guilty. - "The Project Gutenberg Plays of John Galsworthy, Complete", John Galsworthy.