Definition of antedate :
2. Prior date; a date antecedent to another which is the actual date.
3. To anticipate; to make before the true time.
4. To date before the true time; to assign to an earlier date; thus, to antedate a deed or a bond is to give it a date anterior to the true time of its execution.
5. To precede in time.
precede (part of speech: verb)
- This vehicle, like the bicycle, is not essentially a modern invention; the reason any one can manufacture it is that practically all the basic ideas antedate 1840. Indeed, the automobile is really older than the railroad. - "Modern American Prose Selections", Various.
- Antedate your papers, I advised, who dare dispute the king? - "Secret Memoirs: The Story of Louise, Crown Princess", Henry W. Fischer.
- Nevertheless the era of the origin of the plays as a rule will be found to antedate that of the manuscripts. - "Some Forerunners of Italian Opera", William James Henderson.