Definition of antedate:
- Prior date; a date antecedent to another which is the actual date.
- To anticipate; to make before the true time.
- To date before the true time; to assign to an earlier date; thus, to antedate a deed or a bond is to give it a date anterior to the true time of its execution.
- To precede in time.
This vehicle, like the bicycle, is not essentially a modern invention; the reason any one can manufacture it is that practically all the basic ideas antedate 1840. Indeed, the automobile is really older than the railroad.- "Modern American Prose Selections", Various.
- "Secret Memoirs: The Story of Louise, Crown Princess", Henry W. Fischer.
- "Some Forerunners of Italian Opera", William James Henderson.