Definition of delegation:
- A kind of novation by which a debtor, to be liberated from his creditor, gives him a third person, who becomes obliged in his stead to the creditor, or to the person appointed by him.
- One or more persons appointed or chosen, and commissioned to represent others, as in a convention, in Congress, etc.; the collective body of delegates; as, the delegation from Massachusetts; a deputation.
- The act of delegating, or investing with authority to act for another; the appointment of a delegate or delegates.
deputation, background, club, regulation, association, direction, delegacy, appointment, missionary work, calling, sending, foreign mission, missionary post, missionary station, business, installation, ordination, perpetration, abrogation, assignment, conveyance, collaboration, military mission, nomination, panel, mission, trust, referring, transferal, commission, accreditation, license, retraction, flash mobbing, call, police, support group, relegation, career, representation, military commission, commissioning, relegating, authorization, flash mob, mandate, investiture, gathering, committal, delegating, division of labor, charge.
- agency (part of speech: noun)
- delegation (part of speech: noun)
There is evidence for delegation of military power by its Great Kings to a headquarter staff, and for organization of military control in the provinces, but none for such delegation of the civil power as might have fostered a bureaucracy.- "The Ancient East", D. G. Hogarth.
- "The Heart of Arethusa", Francis Barton Fox.
- "Thirty Years in the Itinerancy", Wesson Gage Miller.