Definition of goldfish :
1. A California marine fish of an orange or red color; the garibaldi.
2. A small domesticated cyprinoid fish ( Carassius auratus); -- so named from its color. It is native of China, and is said to have been introduced into Europe in 1691. It is often kept as an ornament, in small ponds or glass globes. Many varieties are known. Called also golden fish, and golden carp. See Telescope fish, under Telescope.
fish (part of speech: noun)
hake, gar, anchovy, kipper, lamprey, grouper, flounder, marlin, speckled trout, rainbow trout, halibut, mackerel, bowfin, bass, swordfish, trout, tuna, fluke, minnow, ray, guppy, salmon, cod, sole, mudfish, walleye, haddock, sea horse, flatfish, eel, catfish, shark, puffer, whitefish, blackfish, sting ray, dogfish, bluegill, barracuda, sardine, crappie, smelt, turbot, tarpon, hammerhead, herring, sunfish, fish, char, carp, albacore, pickerel, perch, goby, sturgeon, pike, sailfish
- Beside it were all the animals he had loved best while on earth: a little red cat, two little gray cats, two little white cats, a bullfinch, and two goldfish. - "Romance of the Rabbit", Francis Jammes.
- Jon was out of his goldfish bowl and striding toward his own igloo adjacent to the service station when a Steel- Blue accosted him. - "Acid Bath", Vaseleos Garson.
- At times, it seemed to the driver's whimsical fancy as if each of them trod a measure in the centre of a colorless universe, something after the fashion of goldfish floating in a globe. - "The Silver Horde", Rex Beach.