Definition of mortuary :
1. A burial place; a place for the dead.
2. A place for the reception of the dead before burial; a deadhouse; a morgue.
3. A sort of ecclesiastical heriot, a customary gift claimed by, and due to, the minister of a parish on the death of a parishioner. It seems to have been originally a voluntary bequest or donation, intended to make amends for any failure in the payment of tithes of which the deceased had been guilty.
4. Of or pertaining to the dead; as, mortuary monuments.
- He had no doubt at all that the dead man he had seen in the mortuary was the gentleman who was with Mr. Horbury on Saturday night. - "The Chestermarke Instinct", J. S. Fletcher.
- She saw and heard no more of what took place round the beloved dead; for when she took her hands from her face streaming with tears, the house of the rich widow no longer sheltered its mistress; her remains had been borne away to the nearest mortuary. - "The Complete Historical Romances of Georg Ebers", Georg Ebers.
- I bet there was a corpse in the mortuary. - "The Hole in the Wall", Arthur Morrison.