Definition of mumble:
- To chew or bite gently, as one without teeth.
- To chew something gently with closed lips.
- To speak with the lips partly closed, so as to render the sounds inarticulate and imperfect; to utter words in a grumbling indistinct manner, indicating discontent or displeasure; to mutter.
- To suppress, or utter imperfectly.
- To utter with a low, inarticulate voice.
palaver, chatter, clack, blab, croak, tattle, grumble, mutter, gnarl, murmur, mussitate, prate, gum, tittle-tattle, hem and haw, gabble, whine, maunder, whimper, ramble on, prattle, utter, twaddle, speak indistinctly, gibber, speak inarticulately, piffle, blabber, sounds, rumble.
- "My Reminiscences of the Anglo-Boer War", Ben Viljoen.
- "The Further Adventures of Jimmie Dale", Frank L. Packard.
- "Grace Harlowe's Golden Summer", Jessie Graham Flower.