Definition of vermilion:
- A bright red pigment consisting of mercuric sulphide, obtained either from the mineral cinnabar or artificially. It has a fine red color, and is much used in coloring sealing wax, in printing, etc.
- Hence, a red color like the pigment; a lively and brilliant red; as, cheeks of vermilion.
- To color with vermilion, or as if with vermilion; to dye red; to cover with a delicate red.
orange-vermilion, chrome-red, vermilion-tawny, vermilion-scarlet, Dutch vermilion, Chinese vermilion, chromatic, vermilion-red, cinnabar, orange red, scarlet, vermillion, French vermilion, scarlet-vermilion, orient vermilion, antimony, chinese-red.
- "Eastern Shame Girl The Wedding of Ya-Nei; A Strange Destiny; The Error of the Embroidered Slipper; The Counterfeit Old Woman; The Monastery of the Esteemed-Lotus; A Complicated Marriage", Charles Georges Souli.
There were no motors then, but volantes and the modern quintrins, with two horses, one outside the shafts, and a riding calesero in vermilion and gold lace; and, latest of all, as new as possible, the victorias.- "San Cristóbal de la Habana", Joseph Hergesheimer.
- "Hudson Bay", R.M. Ballantyne.