Definition of alcove:
- A recessed portion of a room, or a small room opening into a larger one; especially, a recess to contain a bed; a lateral recess in a library.
- A small ornamental building with seats, or an arched seat, in a pleasure ground; a garden bower.
- Any natural recess analogous to an alcove or recess in an apartment.
- "Bohemians of the Latin Quarter", Henry Murger.
It was required that the room should be constantly kept in perfect order, and Merriwell and Hodge were called on to take turns, week and week about, at being orderly, and the name of the one responsible for the appearance of the room was placed on the orderly board, hung to the front of the alcove partition.- "Frank Merriwell's Chums", Burt L. Standish.
- "In the Fog", Richard Harding Davis.