Definition of retired:
budding, recalled, hidden, out-of-work, removed, poverty trap, emeritus, separated, out of service, redundant, superannuated, creative, cloistered, departed, sheltered, auxiliary, blue-collar, inactive, working, secret, designate, quiet, down, covert, out of commission, casual, remote, bloodbath, employment agency, sign on, discharged, jobless, active, out, gone, deputy, old, job seeker, secluded, apart, isolated, social exclusion, acting.
- leisurely (part of speech: adjective)
- resigned (part of speech: verb)
- reposed (part of speech: verb)
- "The Adventures of Roderick Random", Tobias Smollett.
- "Colonel Thorndyke's Secret", G. A. Henty.
After the breaking down of the defences in High Road, Kilburn, the men who had held them retired to the Town Hall, opposite Kilburn Station, and from the windows fired at the passing battalions, doing much execution.- "The Invasion", William Le Queux.