Definition of retired :
1. of Retire
2. Private; secluded; quiet; as, a retired life; a person of retired habits.
3. Withdrawn from active duty or business; as, a retired officer; a retired physician.
blue-collar, departed, out-of-work, working, quiet, jobless, recalled, old, covert, out of commission, employment agency, redundant, social exclusion, secret, deputy, removed, superannuated, acting, isolated, out of service, gone, out, casual, designate, secluded, auxiliary, discharged, active, down, hidden, sign on, job seeker, separated, budding, cloistered, remote, bloodbath, sheltered, emeritus, creative, poverty trap, apart
leisurely (part of speech: adjective)
resigned (part of speech: verb)
reposed (part of speech: verb)
- This said, he retired. - "The Adventures of Roderick Random", Tobias Smollett.
- And opening a door, he called for his wife, who was trying to keep the two children quiet there, having retired with them hastily when Mr. Thorndyke was announced. - "Colonel Thorndyke's Secret", G. A. Henty.
- After the breaking down of the defences in High Road, Kilburn, the men who had held them retired to the Town Hall, opposite Kilburn Station, and from the windows fired at the passing battalions, doing much execution. - "The Invasion", William Le Queux.