Definition of breastplate:
- A part of the vestment of the high priest, worn upon the front of the ephod. It was a double piece of richly embroidered stuff, a span square, set with twelve precious stones, on which were engraved the names of the twelve tribes of Israel. See Ephod.
- A piece against which the workman presses his breast in operating a breast drill, or other similar tool.
- A plate of metal covering the breast as defensive armor.
- A strap that runs across a horse's breast.
- "King of the Castle", George Manville Fenn.
- "At Agincourt", G. A. Henty.
- "The Water of Life and Other Sermons", Charles Kingsley.