Definition of russet:
- A country dress; - so called because often of a russet color.
- A russet color; a pigment of a russet color.
- An apple, or a pear, of a russet color; as, the English russet, and the Roxbury russet.
- Cloth or clothing of a russet color.
- Coarse; homespun; rustic.
- Of a reddish brown color, or ( by some called) a red gray; of the color composed of blue, red, and yellow in equal strength, but unequal proportions, namely, two parts of red to one each of blue and yellow; also, of a yellowish brown color.
- "Foes", Mary Johnston.
- "Light Freights, Complete", W. W. Jacobs.
Pictures were flashing before her mind- frost- stung October days when they had galloped with the baying hounds, over the blown, tinted leaves and russet fields- winter skating- parties on the frozen river, summer dances like that of to- night, for which the music was now swinging a hundred yards away- always it had been she and Harry Sevier.- "The Long Lane's Turning", Hallie Erminie Rives.