Definition of apology :
1. An acknowledgment intended as an atonement for some improper or injurious remark or act; an admission to another of a wrong or discourtesy done him, accompanied by an expression of regret.
2. Anything provided as a substitute; a makeshift.
3. Something said or written in defense or justification of what appears to others wrong, or of what may be liable to disapprobation; justification; as, Tertullian's for Christianity.
4. To offer an apology.
allegation, justification, regrets, announcement, accusation, in justification of something, attack, defense, occasion, ground, affirmation, point, motivation, session, agenda, plea, motion, motive, pretext, acknowledgment, self-justification, apologies, assertion, resolution, proceedings, assurance, avowal, reason, mea culpa, excuse, apologia, docket, cause, apologetic, minutes, alibi, attestation, quorum, explanation
penitence (part of speech: noun)
vindication (part of speech: noun)
- " There is yet time," he went on, " to offer me some slight apology; and offer it you must, or you will die sir! - "The Magic Skin", Honore de Balzac.
- I beg your pardon- said the Master again after three minutes or so, facing around with a smile of apology. - "Brother Copas", Sir Arthur Thomas Quiller-Couch.
- I went up and made some apology for entering the hospital. - "Life of Henry Martyn, Missionary to India and Persia, 1781 to 1812", Sarah J. Rhea.