Definition of bunt:
- A fungus ( Ustilago foetida) which affects the ear of cereals, filling the grains with a fetid dust; - also called pepperbrand.
- A push or shove; a butt;
- the act of bunting the ball.
- The middle part, cavity, or belly of a sail; the part of a furled sail which is at the center of the yard.
- To bat or tap ( the ball) slowly within the infield by meeting it with the bat without swinging at it.
- To swell out; as, the sail bunts.
One side of the net is taken up on the schooner's deck, and there clamped firmly, the fish thus lying in the bunt, or pocket between the schooners, and the two boats which lie off eight or ten feet, rising and falling with the sea.- "American Merchant Ships and Sailors", Willis J. Abbot.
- "Bert Wilson's Fadeaway Ball", J. W. Duffield.
- "News from the Duchy", Sir Arthur Thomas Quiller-Couch.