Definition of espy:
- A spy; a scout.
- To catch sight of; to perceive with the eyes; to discover, as a distant object partly concealed, or not obvious to notice; to see at a glance; to discern unexpectedly; to spy; as, to espy land; to espy a man in a crowd.
- To inspect narrowly; to examine and keep watch upon; to watch; to observe.
- To look or search narrowly; to look about; to watch; to take notice; to spy.
- "The Kings and Queens of England with Other Poems", Mary Ann H. T. Bigelow.
In the present case it was a thing that I understood to involve the most hideous confessions of imbecility on my part, because I had evidently to go out to some obscure point and espy it and claim it, and take trouble for it; and I would rather have had my pockets filled with bread and cheese, and had no baggage at all.- "Last Words", Stephen Crane.
- "Old Calabria", Norman Douglas.