Definition of mummy:
- A brown color obtained from bitumen. See brown ( below).
- A dead body embalmed and dried after the manner of the ancient Egyptians; also, a body preserved, by any means, in a dry state, from the process of putrefaction.
- A gummy liquor that exudes from embalmed flesh when heated; - formerly supposed to have magical and medicinal properties.
- A sort of wax used in grafting, etc.
- Dried flesh of a mummy.
- One whose affections and energies are withered.
- To embalm; to mummify.
- "100%: The Story of a Patriot", Upton Sinclair.
We no sooner catch a clever man, born of the people, than we dress him up like a mummy and put him down at dinner parties and garden parties, to do things he's not accustomed to, and expect him to hold his own amongst people who are not his people.- "The Devil's Paw", E. Phillips Oppenheim.
- "The Green Flag", Arthur Conan Doyle.