Definition of octave:
- A small cask of wine, the eighth part of a pipe.
- Consisting of eight; eight.
- The eighth day after a church festival, the festival day being included; also, the week following a church festival.
- The eighth tone in the scale; the interval between one and eight of the scale, or any interval of equal length; an interval of five tones and two semitones.
- The first two stanzas of a sonnet, consisting of four verses each; a stanza of eight lines.
- The whole diatonic scale itself.
- "Seed Thoughts for Singers", Frank Herbert Tubbs.
A brand- new piano, with a pretty little girl seated before it, suggests advancing refinement, and the expression of the child's face, while she attempts the impossible task of stretching an octave, indicates despair.- "Philosopher Jack", R.M. Ballantyne.
- "Caste", W. A. Fraser.