Definition of ante:
- A Latin preposition and prefix; akin to Gr. 'anti`, Skr. anti, Goth. and-, anda- ( only in comp.), AS. and-, ond-, ( only in comp.: cf. Answer, Along), G. ant-, ent- ( in comp.). The Latin ante is generally used in the sense of before, in regard to position, order, or time, and the Gr. 'anti` in that of opposite, or in the place of.
- Each player's stake, which is put into the pool before ( ante) the game begins.
- To put up ( an ante).
- "All about the Klondyke gold mines", J. Armoy Knox J. G. Pratt.
- "The Valley of Decision", Edith Wharton.
- "More Fables", George Ade.