Definition of chicane:
- In bridge, the holding of a hand without trumps, or the hand itself. It counts as simple honors.
- The use of artful subterfuge, designed to draw away attention from the merits of a case or question; - specifically applied to legal proceedings; trickery; chicanery; caviling; sophistry.
- To use shifts, cavils, or artifices.
have a go at it, be intimate, mischief-making, know, craft, jiggery-pokery, chicanery, rip off, devilment, cavil, slickness, skullduggery, bicycle lane, deceitfulness, make out, have it away, drive in, hump, shaft, love, cuckold, jugglery, subterfuge, corner, jockey, carp, craftiness, jazz, betray, make love, guile, artifice, do it, hocus-pocus, roguery, legerdemain, wile, eff, carpool lane, slyness, bed, roll in the hay, screw, roguishness, trickery, shenanigan, connection, cheat, devilry, bang, sleep with, bend, have sex, hanky panky, camber, wander, skulduggery, cunning, chisel, mischievousness, get laid, central reservation, bonk, have intercourse, have it off, bike lane, chouse, cheat on, deviltry, lie with, get it on, gamesmanship, wiliness, mischief, foxiness, cloverleaf, rascality, sleep together.
So far as the Netherlands were concerned, then, she would have been fully justified in extending her sceptre over a free people, who, under no compulsion and without any, diplomatic chicane, had selected her for their hereditary chief.- "History of the United Netherlands, 1586-89, Vol. II. Complete", John Lothrop Motley Last Updated: February 7, 2009.
- "Tales of Bengal", S. B. Banerjea.
- "The Matador of the Five Towns and Other Stories", Arnold Bennett.