Definition of fourth :
1. Forming one of four equal parts into which anything may be divided.
2. Next in order after the third; the ordinal of four.
3. One of four equal parts into which one whole may be divided; the quotient of a unit divided by four; one coming next in order after the third.
4. The interval of two tones and a semitone, embracing four diatonic degrees of the scale; the subdominant of any key.
- Then these two would invite a third man,- possibly even a fourth,- to have lunch with them and talk in a general way,- even talk of other things part of the time. - "Sunshine Sketches of a Little Town", Stephen Leacock.
- On the twenty- fourth all was ready to bring home the boat. - "A Singer from the Sea", Amelia Edith Huddleston Barr.
- Give me a chance, 'n' if I'm no good as third mate, I'll probably do as fourth. - "Mr. Trunnell", T. Jenkins Hains.