Definition of overlay:
- A covering.
- A piece of paper pasted upon the tympan sheet to improve the impression by making it stronger at a particular place.
- of Overlie
- To lay, or spread, something over or across; hence, to cover; to overwhelm; to press excessively upon.
- To put an overlay on.
- To smother with a close covering, or by lying upon.
get over, spread, cover up, spread over, cross, wrap up, insure, pass over, overlie, plow, overlap, cut across, overlayer, cap, put on, embrace, load, compensate, cover, brood, handle, hatch, overload, cram, treat, incubate, report, track, traverse, continue, address, burden, deal, hide, cut through, breed, underwrite, encompass, sheathing, encumber, extend, overcompensate, get across, comprehend.
Certainly not: at first- say, for the first few months- he requires the warmth of another person's body, especially in the winter; but care must be taken not to overlay him, as many infants, from carelessness in this particular, have lost their lives.- "Advice to a Mother on the Management of her Children", Pye Henry Chavasse.
- "Sketches of Reforms and Reformers, of Great Britain and Ireland", Henry B. Stanton.
- "The Return", H. Beam Piper and John J. McGuire.