Definition of whine:
- A plaintive tone; the nasal, childish tone of mean complaint; mean or affected complaint.
- To utter a plaintive cry, as some animals; to moan with a childish noise; to complain, or to tell of sorrow, distress, or the like, in a plaintive, nasal tone; hence, to complain or to beg in a mean, unmanly way; to moan basely.
- To utter or express plaintively, or in a mean, unmanly way; as, to whine out an excuse.
pule, brood, stew, beef, wrawl, mewl, grouse, blubber, whimper, hum, yowl, yammer, murmur, drone, feelings, howl, happy, grizzle, yawp, bawl, skreak, gripe, bellyache, complain, kick, bitch, crab, screak, grouse, snivel, skreigh, grouch, grumble, gripe, grump, blub, complain, beef, squawk.
- "Uncle Vanya", Anton Checkov.
- "Gargoyles", Ben Hecht.
- "Letters from France", C. E. W. Bean.