Definition of alliance:
- Any union resembling that of families or states; union by relationship in qualities; affinity.
- The persons or parties allied.
- The state of being allied; the act of allying or uniting; a union or connection of interests between families, states, parties, etc., especially between families by marriage and states by compact, treaty, or league; as, matrimonial alliances; an alliance between church and state; an alliance between France and England.
- To connect by alliance; to ally.
accord, alignment, adhesion, bail, concretion, bond certificate, Anschluss, party, community, bond, trammel, bond paper, network, bail bond, syndicate, bloc, trust, band, engagement, treaty, conspiracy, betrothal, congruity, relation, agreement, friendship, ring, organization, cooperation, shackle, compact, combination, chemical bond, mutuality, cooperative, separation, coalescency, consanguinity, membership, implication, connect, hamper, cartel, adhesiveness, conglomerate, confederacy, company, corporation, alinement, confederation, rupture, kinship, group, matrimony, politics, conglutination, support, fusion, near, pact, combine, coalition, affinity, coalescence, entente.
- co-operation (part of speech: noun)
- junction (part of speech: noun)
- confederation (part of speech: noun)
- "A Maker of History", E. Phillips Oppenheim.
- "The Parisians, Book 11.", Edward Bulwer-Lytton.
For six months the battle raged and the rest of the world regarded the result with grave concern until in May of 1915 Italy, having renounced her alliance with Germany and Austria, declared war first on Austria, then on Turkey.- "Kelly Miller's History of the World War for Human Rights", Kelly Miller.