Definition of chevron:
- A distinguishing mark, above the elbow, on the sleeve of a non- commissioned officer's coat.
- A zigzag molding, or group of moldings, common in Norman architecture.
- One of the nine honorable ordinaries, consisting of two broad bands of the width of the bar, issuing, respectively from the dexter and sinister bases of the field and conjoined at its center.
Proud was he of his name and race, Of old Sir William and Sir Hugh, And in the parlor, full in view, His coat- of- arms, well framed and glazed, Upon the wall in colors blazed; He beareth gules upon his shield, A chevron argent in the field, With three wolf's heads, and for the crest A Wyvern part- per- pale addressed Upon a helmet barred; below The scroll reads, " By the name of Howe."- "The Complete Poetical Works of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow", Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
- "O. Henry Memorial Award Prize Stories of 1921", Various.
- "Coming of Age: 1939-1946", John Cox.