Definition of clue :
1. A ball of thread, yarn, or cord; also, The thread itself.
2. A ball of thread; a thread or other means of guidance. Same as Clew.
3. A combination of lines or nettles by which a hammock is suspended.
4. A loop and thimbles at the corner of a sail.
5. A lower corner of a square sail, or the after corner of a fore- and- aft sail.
6. That which guides or directs one in anything of a doubtful or intricate nature; that which gives a hint in the solution of a mystery.
mite, scent, cue stick, pool stick, pool cue, wind, lead, discriminative stimulus, trace, breath, tinge, soupcon, steer, confidential information, suggest, show, touch, knowledge, speck, jot, intimation, clew, pinch
advice (part of speech: noun)
encouragement, advice, hint, pointer, news, monition, caution, message, prompt, briefing, advocacy, guidance, suggestion, direction, tip, instruction, recommendation, warning, caveat, cue, information, intelligence
evidence (part of speech: noun)
- I think the first thing for us to do is to look around and see if we can find anything that will give us a clue to the takin' o' the boat. - "The Go Ahead Boys and Simon's Mine", Ross Kay.
- I got a clue on the day you left. - "The Great Drought", Sterner St. Paul Meek.
- I shan't say a word that will give them a clue that will help them to lay hands on the captain. - "When London Burned", G. A. Henty.