Definition of ingenious :
1. Mental; intellectual.
2. Possessed of genius, or the faculty of invention; skillful or promp to invent; having an aptitude to contrive, or to form new combinations; as, an ingenious author, mechanic.
3. Proseeding from, pertaining to, or characterized by, genius or ingenuity; of curious design, structure, or mechanism; as, an ingenious model, or machine; an ingenious scheme, contrivance, etc.
4. Witty; shrewd; adroit; keen; sagacious; as, an ingenious reply.
innovational, cagey, gifted, intellectual, guileful, insightful, deductive, bright, reasoned, innovatory, happy, sound, meditative, wise, skilful, cagy, originative, perceptive, thoughtful, able, cute, talented, keen, discerning, academic, knavish, Promethean, capable, artistic, dodgy, dexterous, tricksy, incisive, ability, study at clever, apt, knowing, clear-sighted, expert
creative (part of speech: adjective)
original (part of speech: adjective)
witty (part of speech: adjective)
foxy, brilliant, droll, funny, dry, subtle, smart, astute, waggish, sparkling, facetious, wily, tricky, shrewd, pithy, canny, sarcastic, urbane, witty, adroit, comical, pointed, intelligent, sharp, scintillating, inventive, joking, clever, quick-witted, cunning, crafty, quick, sophisticated, sly, resourceful, artful, jocular, scurrilous, deft
cunning (part of speech: adjective)
- Verily, your Ladyship is most ingenious and expert. - "The Works of Aphra Behn, Vol. I (of 6)", Aphra Behn.
- Many were the ingenious devices which the girls had adopted for trying to find out both Miss Teddington's Christian name and her age. - "For the Sake of the School", Angela Brazil.
- Ingenious, Peppermore, very ingenious! - "In the Mayor's Parlour", J. S. (Joseph Smith) Fletcher.