Definition of ingenious:
- Mental; intellectual.
- Possessed of genius, or the faculty of invention; skillful or promp to invent; having an aptitude to contrive, or to form new combinations; as, an ingenious author, mechanic.
- Proseeding from, pertaining to, or characterized by, genius or ingenuity; of curious design, structure, or mechanism; as, an ingenious model, or machine; an ingenious scheme, contrivance, etc.
- Witty; shrewd; adroit; keen; sagacious; as, an ingenious reply.
innovatory, knavish, capable, originative, creative, cunning, artistic, cute, expert, meditative, adroit, ability, knowing, dexterous, deductive, sound, dodgy, perceptive, thoughtful, clear-sighted, Promethean, academic, cagy, insightful, guileful, gifted, intellectual, incisive, study at clever, cagey, artful, discerning, wise, inventive, imaginative, skilful, tricksy, talented, able, keen, apt, happy, clever, reasoned, bright, innovational.
- creative (part of speech: adjective)
- original (part of speech: adjective)
witty (part of speech: adjective)
- cunning (part of speech: adjective)
- "The Works of Aphra Behn, Vol. I (of 6)", Aphra Behn.
- "For the Sake of the School", Angela Brazil.
Ingenious, Peppermore, very ingenious!- "In the Mayor's Parlour", J. S. (Joseph Smith) Fletcher.