Definition of distinguish:
- Not set apart from others by visible marks; to make distinctive or discernible by exhibiting differences; to mark off by some characteristic.
- To become distinguished or distinctive; to make one's self or itself discernible.
- To constitute a difference; to make to differ.
- To make distinctions; to perceive the difference; to exercise discrimination; - with between; as, a judge distinguishes between cases apparently similar, but differing in principle.
- To recognize or discern by marks, signs, or characteristic quality or qualities; to know and discriminate ( anything) from other things with which it might be confounded; as, to distinguish the sound of a drum.
- To separate by definition of terms or logical division of a subject with regard to difference; as, to distinguish sounds into high and low.
- To separate from others by a mark of honor; to make eminent or known; to confer distinction upon; - with by or for.
fill in, call attention, assort, pick out, single out, distract, constitute, blemish, dissever, eff, classify, brand, agnise, praise, separate, secernate, mark off, diagnose, purloin, commemorate, withdraw, list, severalise, call, recite, disclose, state, come, realize, recognise, get laid, scar, set, espy, hear, have it off, have it away, exalt, nominate, line, ennoble, expose, mind, label, learn, accredit, complete, get wind, observe, divulge, knowledge, get word, cut, break, divide, bring up, contend, differentiate, bang, lie with, nock, find, blot, signalise, select, point out, spot, sort out, write out, enjoin, happen upon, narrate, strike off, remove, manage, delineate, sign, love, get a line, get along, detect, tag, hump, do, describe, recount, grapple, ramify, carve up, make do, check off, tell apart, severalize, issue, let on, draw, unwrap, get it on, notice, light upon, reveal, admire, secern, fleck, mark, say, have sex, disunite, name, evidence, depict, advert, take away, pick up, have intercourse, appoint, cope, score, split up, come apart, roll in the hay, sift, denounce, come across, fork, strike, acknowledge, report, furcate, branch, grade, steal, discern, class, descry, pock, key, place, stigmatise, get by, sort, agnize, cite, cross out, singularize, same, tell, blob, come upon, choose, sleep together, signalize, abstract, celebrate, see, jazz, fare, chance on, mention, neck, recognize, signal, set apart, fall upon, greet, fall apart, detach, honor, key out, realise, tick, bring out, pit, find out, elevate, punctuate, spy, make out, bed, refer, check, have a go at it, split, divert, identify, eliminate, chance upon, order, deal, note, respect, let out, bonk, make love, sleep with, characterize, give away, cross off, screw, appropriate, demarcate, collate, assure, account, fill out, attain, break up, specialise, part, tick off, take, be intimate, speciate, know, trace, do it, remark, discover, stigmatize, strike out, make.
- "The Hunters of the Ozark", Edward S. Ellis.
- "Le Morvan, [A District of France,] Its Wild Sports, Vineyards and Forests; with Legends, Antiquities, Rural and Local Sketches", Henri de Crignelle.
- "The Grammar of English Grammars", Goold Brown.