Definition of fanatic :
1. A person affected by excessive enthusiasm, particularly on religious subjects; one who indulges wild and extravagant notions of religion.
2. Pertaining to, or indicating, fanaticism; extravagant in opinions; ultra; unreasonable; excessively enthusiastic, especially on religious subjects; as, fanatic zeal; fanatic notions.
rabid, ultra, fanatical, maniac, overzealous, radical, demon, love, ogre, far-out, daemon, politics, devil, monster, nut, buff, concern, extreme, revolutionist, sectary, edge, votary, revolutionary, daimon, passionate, fiend, bug, fan, religion, belief, freak
compulsive (part of speech: adjective)
zealot (part of speech: noun)
- With an empty stomach, I became a fanatic; and the hollow made in my brain by the mercury became the home of enthusiasm. - "The Memoires of Casanova, Complete The Rare Unabridged London Edition Of 1894, plus An Unpublished Chapter of History, By Arthur Symons", Jacques Casanova de Seingalt.
- " In his day, Christ was as great a fanatic, if you like to look at things from that point of view. - "There was a King in Egypt", Norma Lorimer.
- It required a good deal of courage for Flossy to ask her mother, but she accomplished it, and received in reply an astonished stare, a half- embarrassed laugh, and the expression: " What an absurd little fanatic you are getting to be, Flossy! - "The Chautauqua Girls At Home", Pansy, AKA Isabella M. Alden.