Definition of rue:
- A perennial suffrutescent plant ( Ruta graveolens), having a strong, heavy odor and a bitter taste; herb of grace. It is used in medicine.
- Fig.: Bitterness; disappointment; grief; regret.
- Sorrow; repetance.
- To cause to grieve; to afflict.
- To feel sorrow and regret; to repent.
- To have compassion.
- To lament; to regret extremely; to grieve for or over.
- To repent of, and withdraw from, as a bargain; to get released from.
- "McGuffey's Fifth Eclectic Reader", William Holmes McGuffey.
- "Chopin: The Man and His Music", James Huneker.
- "The King in Yellow", Robert W. Chambers.