Definition of bitter :
1. AA turn of the cable which is round the bitts.
2. Any substance that is bitter. See Bitters.
3. Causing pain or smart; piercing; painful; sharp; severe; as, a bitter cold day.
4. Causing, or fitted to cause, pain or distress to the mind; calamitous; poignant.
5. Characterized by sharpness, severity, or cruelty; harsh; stern; virulent; as, bitter reproach.
6. Having a peculiar, acrid, biting taste, like that of wormwood or an infusion of hops; as, a bitter medicine; bitter as aloes.
7. Mournful; sad; distressing; painful; pitiable.
8. To make bitter.
rancor, red-hot, sultry, acidulated, bitingly, erosive, jaundice, comfort, tartness, bitterness, acerbity, angry, unpalatable, unfriendly, attitude, like, blistery, hard, acidulous, deadly, astringent, brutal, barbed, taste, rancour, nipping, gall, acerb, stifling, vitriolic, distasteful, vinegarish, harsh, sorrowful, tasteful, intense, acetous, irate, sarcastic, cynical, sulphurous, acidulent, savage, thorniness, mordant, love, sulfurous, blistering, indigestible, rough, mordacious, hot, bitterly, shrilly, intolerable, acrimony, resentment, piercingly
pungent (part of speech: adjective)
malevolent (part of speech: adjective)
hateful, venomous, black-hearted, malicious, ill-natured, sullen, foul, catty, sinister, baleful, perfidious, malignant, nasty, baneful, wicked, vicious, rancorous, virulent, mean, evil, corrosive, treacherous, hostile
resentful (part of speech: adjective)
sour (part of speech: adjective)
irritable (part of speech: adjective)
bitchy, touchy, acerbic, bearish, spiteful, cross, irascible, caustic, prickly, crabbed, snappish, bellicose, crusty, cantankerous, acid, irritable, huffy, petty, petulant, sour, peevish, churlish, surly, acrimonious, cranky, tart
painful (part of speech: adjective)
distressful, troublesome, hurtful, smarting, harrowing, anguishing, cutting, grievous, chafing, uncomfortable, stinging, annoying, bothersome, burdensome, trying, irritating, oppressive, cramping, gnawing, grueling, inflaming, withering, biting, offensive, painful, disturbing, torturing, severe, tormenting, crushing, aching, arduous, stabbing, irksome, unbearable, piercing, throbbing, galling, unpleasant, cruel, besetting, aggravating, excruciating, horrendous, insufferable, odious, miserable, wrenching, agonizing, disagreeable, woeful, acute
cold (part of speech: adjective)
- It was a horrible, bitter night. - "Harvest", Mrs. Humphry Ward.
- Bitter was the realization to Tharn who, until now, had been certain nothing could prevent his men from taking Sephar. - "Warrior of the Dawn", Howard Carleton Browne.
- William, bitter with disappointment, snapped: What do you mean? - "In a Little Town", Rupert Hughes.