Definition of rugged:
- Full of asperities on the surface; broken into sharp or irregular points, or otherwise uneven; not smooth; rough; as, a rugged mountain; a rugged road.
- Harsh; hard; crabbed; austere; - said of temper, character, and the like, or of persons.
- Not neat or regular; uneven.
- Rough to the ear; harsh; grating; - said of sound, style, and the like.
- Rough with bristles or hair; shaggy.
- Sour; surly; frowning; wrinkled; - said of looks, etc.
- Stormy; turbulent; tempestuous; rude.
- Vigorous; robust; hardy; - said of health, physique, etc.
- Violent; rude; boisterrous; - said of conduct, manners, etc.
broken, unkept, heavy, scabrous, furrowed, upset, healthy, cliffy, ruffianly, wiped out, broken in, dirty, hard, violent, stormy, roily, hard-bitten, hale, hardy, bad, cragged, problematical, roiled, turbulent, busted, smooth, confused, rough, ugly, calm, problematic, continue, uneven, toughened, craggy, tempestuous, impoverished, mountainous, sturdy, tumultuous, wild, baffling, crushed, raging, difficult, humiliated, action, hilly, unsmooth, humbled, low, hard-handed, ironbound, elusive, strong, rough-and-tumble, knockabout, clifflike, disordered.
difficult (part of speech: adjective)
- rough (part of speech: adjective)
- "William Bradford of Plymouth", Albert Hale Plumb.
- "Christina", L. G. Moberly.
- "Fernley House", Laura E. Richards.