Definition of grating :
1. A harsh sound caused by attrition.
2. A partition, covering, or frame of parallel or cross bars; a latticework resembling a window grate; as, the grating of a prison or convent.
3. A system of close equidistant and parallel lines lines or bars, especially lines ruled on a polished surface, used for producing spectra by diffraction; - called also diffraction grating.
4. A system of close equidistant parallel lines or bars, esp. lines ruled on a polished surface, used for producing spectra by diffraction. Gratings have been made with over 40, 000 such lines to the inch, but those with a somewhat smaller number give the best definition.
5. of Grate
6. That grates; making a harsh sound; harsh.
7. The strong wooden lattice used to cover a hatch, admitting light and air; also, a movable Lattice used for the flooring of boats.
pettish, unsmooth, throaty, rusty, scratchy, doorstop, dead, techy, gruff, flat, gravel, tetchy, testy, crude, nettlesome, squawky, bumpy, peevish, coarse, rocky, unaesthetic, uneven, door, doorpost, grotesque, doorjamb, pugnacious, sounds, jumpy, approximative, rough, appealing, adenoidal, diffraction grating, jolty, arch, husky, disembodied, raspy, brittle, cacophonic, breathy, approximate, doorbell, doorplate, peckish, uncut, doorstep, petulant, grate, spotty, croaking, fruity, doorknocker, cacophonous, fractious, abrasive, croaky, shingly, gravelly, cranky, dry, fierce, jolting, irritable, boisterous, doorknob, pebbly
aggravating (part of speech: verb)
perturbing, vexing, exasperating, nagging, infuriating, tormenting, bedeviling, badgering, exacerbating, troubling, annoying, teasing, bothersome, enraging, needling, envenoming, pestering, peeving, upsetting, bothering, rankling, discomposing, troublesome, antagonizing, irksome, inflaming, harrying, hassling, baiting, arousing, irking
displeasing (part of speech: verb)
shrill (part of speech: adjective)
jangling, screaming, strident, shrill, whining, hoarse, ear-piercing, reedy, squealing, acute, treble, penetrating, scratching, jarring, creaky, screeching, harsh, squeaky, raucous, high-pitched, piercing, whistling, cutting, caterwauling, shrieking
chafing (part of speech: verb)
- It has little or no value," he added with a harsh, grating laugh. - "The League of the Scarlet Pimpernel", Baroness Orczy.
- But his haggard face lit up when he saw the boy, and he came to the grating with an eager exclamation: And thou hast truly come? - "Master Skylark", John Bennett.
- He has sent and had an iron grating put in the fireplace, for he has an idea that Hojeda comes in that way.... - "Maximina", Armando Palacio ValdÃ©s.