Definition of veil:
- A cover; disguise; a mask; a pretense.
- A covering for a person or thing; as, a nun's veil; a paten veil; an altar veil.
- A membrane connecting the margin of the pileus of a mushroom with the stalk; - called also velum.
- Fig.: To invest; to cover; to hide; to conceal.
- Same as Velum, 3.
- Something hung up, or spread out, to intercept the view, and hide an object; a cover; a curtain; esp., a screen, usually of gauze, crape, or similar diaphnous material, to hide or protect the face.
- The calyptra of mosses.
- To throw a veil over; to cover with a veil.
overcloud, dimness, tissue, suppress, velum, caul, coloring, gauze, fog, face, clothe, scarf, kerchief, disguise, kill, humeral veil, blur, obnubilate, bury, soft palate, web, darkness, gloss, semblance, entomb, masquerade, secrete, head covering, inter, befog, infold, show, invest, rain, hide out, front, gastrocolic omentum, disguisement, enwrap, color, haze, hush, bedim, guise, put-on, obliterate, mantilla, window-dressing, overwhelm, twilight, film, conceal, false colors, pretext, obscurity, efface, becloud, confuse, wipe out, enfold, cloud, embryonic membrane, dissemble, haze over, greater omentum, blot out, pretense, mist.
- cover (part of speech: verb)
- shade (part of speech: verb)
- covering (part of speech: noun)
- "The Window at the White Cat", Mary Roberts Rinehart.
- "Famous Stories Every Child Should Know", Various.
- "By Wit of Woman", Arthur W. Marchmont.