Definition of abortive:
- A fruitless effort or issue.
- A medicine to which is attributed the property of causing abortion.
- Causing abortion; as, abortive medicines.
- Coming to naught; failing in its effect; miscarrying; fruitless; unsuccessful; as, an abortive attempt.
- Cutting short; as, abortive treatment of typhoid fever.
- Imperfectly formed or developed; rudimentary; sterile; as, an abortive organ, stamen, ovule, etc.
- Made from the skin of a still- born animal; as, abortive vellum.
- Produced by abortion; born prematurely; as, an abortive child.
- Rendering fruitless or ineffectual.
- That which is born or brought forth prematurely; an abortion.
idle, unsuccessful, baseless, delusive, worthless, trifling, unimportant, nugatory, unsubstantial, profitless, vapid, empty, trivial, inconstant, bootless, unprofitable, unavailing, unsatisfying, unserviceable, visionary, unreal, null, stillborn, deceitful, shadowy, unfruitful.
Therefore, in choosing the ships, should any of the most advantageous properties be wanting, and the necessary room in them, be in any degree diminished, for less important purposes, such a step would be laying a foundation for rendering the undertaking abortive in the first instance.- "A Voyage Towards the South Pole and Round the World, Volume 1", James Cook.
- "The Works of John Bunyan Volume 3", John Bunyan.
- "An Essay on the Principle of Population", Thomas Malthus.