Definition of cherub:
- A beautiful child; - so called because artists have represented cherubs as beautiful children.
- A mysterious composite being, the winged footstool and chariot of the Almighty, described in Ezekiel i. and x.
- A symbolical winged figure of unknown form used in connection with the mercy seat of the Jewish Ark and Temple.
- One of a order of angels, variously represented in art. In European painting the cherubim have been shown as blue, to denote knowledge, as distinguished from the seraphim ( see Seraph), and in later art the children's heads with wings are generally called cherubs.
- "A Little Bush Maid", Mary Grant Bruce.
- "Eugenie Grandet", Honore de Balzac.
- "Natalie: A Garden Scout", Lillian Elizabeth Roy.